Road Traffic Acts
Share this notice
- Notice category:
- Notice type:
- Road Traffic Acts
- Publication date:
- The London Gazette
- Notice ID:
- Notice code:
- Issue number:
- Page number:
London Borough of Lewisham
THE LEWISHAM (20 MPH SPEED LIMIT) TRAFFIC ORDER 2017
1. NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that Lewisham Borough Council proposes to make the above-mentioned Order under sections 84(1)(a) and (2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.
2. The general effect of the Order would be to revoke and re-enact the provisions of the Lewisham (20 mph Speed Limit) Traffic Order 2016 without any change of substance to what is currently operating “on street”.
3. The reason for making this new Order would be to enable the Police to better enforce the 20 mph speed limit restrictions in Lewisham, by specifically identifying each length of street involved in the Order.
4. The continuing effect of the Order, along with other existing 20mph speed limit Orders affecting the Borough, would be to make the whole of the London Borough of Lewisham, including certain parts of boundary streets with the Royal Borough of Greenwich, the London Borough of Southwark and the London Borough of Bromley, subject to 20 mph controls for all motor vehicles. Note: GLA Roads and Side Roads are not part of the scheme.
5. As at present, the 20 mph speed limit would not apply to any vehicle being used – (a) by Special Forces whilst responding, or making preparations to respond to, a national security emergency; or (b) for emergency service purposes if staying within the speed limit would compromise response times.
6. A copy of the Order, of the Order of 2016 referred to in paragraph 2 above, together with other relevant documents, can be inspected during normal office hours on Mondays to Fridays until the last day of a period of six weeks beginning with the date on which the Order is made or, as the case may be, the Council decides not to make the Order, at the office of Lewisham Transport Policy & Development, 4th Floor Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, London, SE6 4RU by arrangement. For telephone queries please call the Highways Department on 020 8314 6000.
7. Any objection or other representations relating to the proposed Orders must be made in writing and all objections must specify the grounds on which they are made and must be emailed to: Transport@lewisham.gov.uk or posted to Lewisham Transport Policy & Development, 4th Floor Laurence House, 1 Catford Road, London SE6 4RU, quoting reference ‘Borough wide 20mph Speed Limit’ to arrive not later than 21 days from the date of publication of this notice. Any objection may be communicated to other persons who may be affected.
Dated 7th April 2017
Policy and Development Manager, Transport
4th Floor Laurence House, 1 Catford Road SE6 4RU